Re: [linux-audio-user] Virtual Mixing Desk

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Virtual Mixing Desk
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Sun Jul 18 2004 - 13:29:41 EEST

Hallo,
Stanley Jaddoe hat gesagt: // Stanley Jaddoe wrote:

> IMHO, a harddisk recorder and mixing desk are two seperate
> functions. I really hope Mr. Davis agrees and will split the mixing
> part from the harddisk recording part.

The mixer is an important part in the whole concept of Ardour. Every
track corresponds somehow to controls in the mixer. Tracks carry
automation information, which you input e.g. through using the mixer.
Later you can edit this info inside the track. I see no real advantage
in splitting out the mixer as its an integral part of Ardour. If you
want a Jack mixer alone, then nothing is stopping anyone to split out
the mixer and make it standalone, but still Ardour needs its own
integrated mixer. It's an imporant part of the design of Ardour.

There are other applications that do what you suggest: Jackmix as
mixer, ecasound as a pure harddisk recorder. Those apps follow a
different more modularized approach which has advantages but also
disadvantages. Advantages would include that ecasound is wonderful for
automating pure recording tasks. But Ecasound is really not suited
when it comes to editing existing recordings.

Ciao