Re: [linux-audio-user] Mixers (maybe)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Mixers (maybe)
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 19:13:03 EEST

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 11:46:18 -0400, Laura Conrad <lconrad_AT_laymusic.org> wrote:

> >> I have the oss emulation working (on 2.6), but more googling
> >> reveals that pysol sound doesn't work yet on 2.6. The error is
> >> different from the one I get, but it doesn't look like that
> >> problem is worth spending time on.
>
> Mark> I play pysol pretty much daily. I'm using 2.6.9-rc2-mm4-VPS7 with Alsa
> Mark> 1.0.6 and sound works fine for me.
>
> OK, maybe rebuilding or loading stock kernels should be higher
> priority. I miss the card sounds. Although I have actually had them
> since the rebuild, and I can't remember what I did to get them. I
> know they went away again when I started trying to run the mixers so I
> could record.

I found building and running my 2.6.9 kernel relatively painless. this
is the first kernel I've built with realtime capablility and low
latency. Lee Revell and others were quite helpful. (I'm quite
forgetful but willing to struggle along through it if you want to,
although I;ve never used anything like Debian and wouldn't know what
to do if you ran into something that's distro specific. The advantage
would be that you'd have ext3 built in, as I do, and no trouble using
your existing root partition.

None the less, I'm running Windows VSTs all the time, playing a bit
with Ardour, and certainly use alsaplayer and jack all the time, along
with QJackCtl and Wine. Sound is not much of an issue on my laptop at
this point, but it did take a bit of work.

Up to you how you go. Here to help if you need any.

good luck,
Mark