Re: [linux-audio-user] Preach it! [was: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Behringer etc.]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Preach it! [was: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Behringer etc.]
From: Ryan Gallagher (ruinaudio_AT_comcast.net)
Date: Tue Nov 30 2004 - 19:17:31 EET

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 08:10 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> BTW - I truly think that in the next 12-24 months Digi will release
> PTLE for Linux.

Ok, I'll bite :-)

Mark there's just no way it'll happen. Think about how picky Digi is
with hardware AND software (your example about PTLE not working with SP2
and recent OS X). I mean you can count their "recommended systems" on
one hand practically. DigiDesign prides themselves (and their business
model rests on the premise) in the stability and reliablity of their
software/hardware. They'd never want to associate themselves with
something so amorphous and widely varried as linux, with utter certainty
I'll say they'd never support it.

IMHO *IF* Digi ever made an entry in the linux world they'd *only* do it
by picking *one* distro to support and only that distro. What distro
would/could that be? As of now there's no distro that'll do low latency
audio out of the box. They'll not risk their reputation on a "community
based" distro, they'd want corporate. So that leaves? RH Suse? Sorry
hardly enough of a customer base in either.

I could one day, maybe, see them floating "PT-free" out there for
linux... maybe... but a full blown PTLE release? I won't say "never"
but I'll confidently say not for a long long long long time and maybe
never.

> If they did they solve the hardware support problem
> and have an advantage over anyone using other Linux tools with home
> grown Alsa support. That would be pretty cool. If their normal release
> policies applied then for $75 I'd have a 3rd OS to run on.

Closed binary only Alsa support for the DD hardware would have to spring
fully formed from Avid, it's just not going to happen. I mean if
there's a company out there that's worse than Apple about tying hardware
and software... it's gotta be DigiDesign. Sorry, though I'd like to see
it (no offense ardour), I'm not going to hold my breath.

I think it was you who suggested a "DigiDesign Distro" bundled with
PTLE?

Ok, here's the most remotely possible solution... a "Powerd by linux &
DigiDesign Console [tm]" again, hardware and software locked, and that'd
be a high-end solution...

Sorry, but PT and Linux just ain't going to happen. All MHO of course.

-ry

--
Ryan Gallagher <ruinaudio_AT_comcast.net>