Re: [linux-audio-user] More Homemade Music --

From: <james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net>
Date: Mon Jul 04 2005 - 19:19:33 EEST

On Mon, 04 Jul, 2005 at 08:36AM -0600, Steve D spake thus:
> On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 09:02:38AM +0100, james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net wrote:
> >
> > [...] That, and I
> > can't separate making music and producing music. To me, "over
> > produced" is like saying "over musical". Which is nonsense.
>

> To me, any creative act or exercise is like the attempted realization of
> an ideal of some sort. The conceptual ideal must exist first. In the
> attempt to realize or materialize that ideal, there often can be reached
> a point at which further effort can make the product less rather than
> more an embodiment of the ideal.
>
> Any good artist needs to know when to stop fiddling and fussing with his
> or her work (at least for a time), or risk marring it with overwork. ;-)
> That's what I personally meant by "overproduction."
>

> > Anyway. I loved the track, but the sounds grate a little.
> >
> > Just a thought though - how old are you (Steve)?
>

> I'm old James: 53 this year. Regarding the sounds in that Lonesome
> Butte piece being "grating," maybe I'm losing some of my hearing in some
> frequency ranges. Do the sounds have too much a sharp high-frequency
> edge?

No, nothing like that. Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds
like the supermarket midi rendition of a great track.

It's still great, but the sounds are just too cheesy. Then again, you
did say you were after that kind of sounds, so I suppose it's a
success.

> > It could be a generational thing - I'm 26 and I've listened to
> > overproduced music all my life. Most of the kind of music I listen to
> > seems to have over production built in from the outset. Although I
> > wouldn't call it over production - I'd just say it's making what would
> > traditionally be called production into just another musical device.
>

> That seems like a valid viewpoint. Production as a creative activity.
> ;-)
>
> -sd

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)