[linux-audio-user] IRQ conflicts, acpi, and linux audio

From: thewade <pdman@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 20 2005 - 01:19:33 EET

Hello pd and lau lists,

I am having trouble figuring out how to actually change the irq's of specific devices.
I read the ardour thread pointed to by http://puredata.info/community/pdwiki/Optimize
and the linux hardware stability guide (http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-hw2.html),
and I now know how to find the current IRQ's used on my machine, and I also know what
they SHOULD be, but I still do not know how to actually change them.
My BIOS only allows me to disable my touchpad, parellel port (disabled) and IR port (disabled).

My goals with this project are to have a faster audio machine, and hopefully to not have to
disable acpi in order to run linux. I am not sure of the motherboard in this laptop, and the
laptop distributor will not return my emails. (If someone can help me to figure that out I
would be grateful! The host bridge is an SiS 755 - is that the motherboard or just the IDE
controller?)

>From the ardour thread (the Mark Knecht part)
> Here"s the order of interrupt priority on a non-APIC machine:
>
> 0, 1, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
>
> 0 is the highest priority
> 7 is the lowest priority

my irq's:

cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0: 15819314 XT-PIC timer
  1: 15630 XT-PIC i8042
  2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
  3: 0 XT-PIC ohci_hcd:usb3
  4: 0 XT-PIC ohci_hcd:usb2
  5: 3769675 XT-PIC ehci_hcd:usb1, yenta, yenta, hdsp, ohci1394, eth0
  8: 1 XT-PIC rtc
 10: 13339 XT-PIC SiS SI7012, SiS SI7013 Modem
 12: 9093 XT-PIC i8042
 14: 39815 XT-PIC ide0
 15: 141222 XT-PIC ide1
NMI: 0
ERR: 1

What I would like to have:

cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0: 15819314 XT-PIC timer
  1: 15630 XT-PIC i8042
  2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
  3: 0 XT-PIC ohci_hcd:usb3
  4: 0 XT-PIC ohci_hcd:usb2
  5: 3769675 XT-PIC ehci_hcd:usb1
  7: ??? XT-PIC eth0
  8: 1 XT-PIC rtc
  9: ??? XT-PIC ohci1394
 10: ??? XT-PIC yenta, yenta, hdsp (I think this is both the cardbus and the multiface?)
 11: 13339 XT-PIC SiS SI7012
 12: 9093 XT-PIC i8042
 13: ??? XT-PIC SiS SI7013 Modem
 14: 39815 XT-PIC ide0
 15: 141222 XT-PIC ide1
NMI: 0
ERR: 1

The acpi problem is that the system hangs (with acpi on) when fedora tried to activate eth0.

Thank you for your help? I would open my laptop but I doubt that there is much I can do in there. Probably not
a whole lot of shuffling I can do in a laptop.
-thewade