Re: [linux-audio-user] Audacity will not work if JACK is running.

From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <rzewnickie@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 03 2006 - 23:05:19 EET

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 02:34:49PM -0500, Hector Centeno-Garcia wrote:
> Christoph Eckert wrote:
> >>Audacity is not JACK-enabled: you need to stop JACK running to be
> >>able to use Audacity. Audacity looks to access the soundcard but
> >>can't because JACK is using it when it is running.
> >AFIR there have been rumors that Audacity CVS has JACK support?
> >Best regards

There is a debian package of 1.2.4b built with a fairly recent
portaudio-v19 snapshot, and hence jack support on debrfa:

ftp://ftp.techweb.rfa.org/debrfa/dists/sarge/main/binary-i386/

Seems to work ok for us so far. I'm working on a deb of 1.3.0b as well,
but need to get a more recent wxwidgets packaged first. Audacity still
creates new ports, connects them, disconnects them and destroys them on
each read or write. As I understand it this isn't proper jack etiquette,
but it's not clear to me if this is Audacity or Portaudio's problem.

--
Eric Dantan Rzewnicki  |  Linux Audio Developer and Sysadmin
Technical Operations Division  |  Radio Free Asia