Re: [linux-audio-user] Progress

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 01 2006 - 23:19:14 EEST

On Mon, 1 May 2006 11:12:40 +0200
Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 01:22:49AM +0100, Folderol wrote:
>
> > Awakening The Avenger has a drum track, although I really am not very
> > happy with it. Some of the instruments have also been re-balanced
> > slightly.
>
> I realy dig Awakening the Avenger, except for the drums, which
> sound like you have to learn/practice drum programming a lot ;)
>
> I'm vaguely reminded of the Alan Parson Projects "Hyper Gamma Spaces"
> and "Lucifer", but that might be because I have been listening to them
> frequently these days ;)
>
> First, this GM drumkit is no good. You need sounds with some depth and
> style. One of Hydrogen's kits should do, if your hardware hasn't something
> better to offer.
>
> Then you need breaks and fills in places, ghostnotes (barely hearable
> hits inbetween) ... think of how a real drummer keeps being busy.
> >From "traditional" drumming over big beat to breakbeats I could imagine
> everything, though.
>

> Cheers,
> Thorsten Wilms

I am painfully aware than my drum skills are vanishingly above zero :(

It is a real struggle for me to achieve anything at all with this. I
seem to have a complete musical deaf spot when it comes to percussion
and have to do a lot of work for many hours to get anything even
remotely presentable. The result is it always tends to sound rather
laboured.

Put a keyboard in front of me and I'll really enjoy myself, guitar to a
lesser degree as well, and even some wind instruments, but drums...
Disaster!