Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: sound recording application

From: Ismael Valladolid Torres <ivalladolidt@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 18 2006 - 18:11:38 EEST

Paul Davis escribe:
> no audio interface i have ever heard of does dithering. ardour does
> dithering only on export to a bit-reduced disk file (e.g. 16 bit sample
> format). ardour attempts (and generally succeeds) at being a perfect
> bits-in = bits-out. jack offers dithering options but only if the user
> requests them and even then only if the h/w format is bit-reduced from
> the implicit 24 bit format of 32 bit floating point. and of course,
> dithering by jack is only on output.

I assume this makes no sense if I tell jackd to work at 16bit.

BTW dithering should be considered a mastering trick. I humblely
suggest forgetting about dithering except only when mastering.

Cordially, Ismael

--
Ismael Valladolid Torres   "Il est vain de pleurer sur l'esprit, il suffit
                                de travailler pour lui." Albert Camus