Re: [linux-audio-user] OT: FUD or not? what is your opinion?

From: Josh Lawrence <hardbop200@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 21 2007 - 21:03:15 EET

On 2/21/07, Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> I apologize for writing something that reads like a selfish whine (my
> estimation), I really didn't mean it to come off like that. I'm not
> dependent upon the magazine, I'm sure the decision was made for
> perfectly legitimate reasons, and I can look elsewhere for funding.

Sorry, I'll say on the outset that I'm not too smart sometimes. It
seems to me that this conversation started with, "Gnome and KDE are
dying, and thus Linux along with it." And now we are to, "Linux audio
is dying." This isn't a snipe at anyone, but a genuine question - why
would we care what happens to Gnome/KDE that much? Aren't there many
other desktops to use? And if Gnome died today, wouldn't something
come along to take its place (if indeed the need was there)? Help me
understand this.

As for Dave's comment about IBM, two points:

1) IBM wouldn't support Linux Audio probably b/c there's very little
money to be made there.
2) Art flourishes when it is starved, beaten, and left for dead.
Following that line of thinking, I propose that Linux Audio would
actually do *worse* if fully funded.

Again, these are just friendly thoughts and not attacks against
anyone's position, just looking for ideas here.

--
Josh Lawrence
http://www.hardbop200.com