Re: [LAU] Suggested video card

From: Thomas Vecchione <seablaede@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 13 2007 - 19:55:43 EEST

On 8/13/07, Dave Robillard <drobilla@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Is Intel making PCI cards yet?
>
> I have one in my laptop, the only modern cards without Evil Inside(TM)
> that work right out of the box on any recent distro. Support Intel,
> they support us ;)
>
> Sure would be nice to have a PCI-E one to stick in the desktop....
>
> -DR-

If Intel puts out some competitive PCI-E cards I would seriously look at em
myself. I would much rather support Open Source by going with them and the
open source drivers(Though I would rather support competition by buying AMD
CPUs;). There has been a rumor about Intel starting to develop discreet
graphics, that has some credence behind it, but I haven't heard much about
it lately since they put up a job posting leaning towards it.

At the moment though I have NVidia as they work reasonably well in most
cases, but as mentioned above I would jump ship to a truly open source
driver willingly(And am hoping for good things from Nouveaux, or however you
spell it). However as my workstation is now serving dual purposes, my audio
work, and developing for a windows based game(Yes, yes, I know, a different
topic so lets not pick it up here) I have to make sure that it can get good
video performance in Windows, and still be useable in Linux for Audio work.

                  Seablade