Re: [LAU] Advice for buying speakers

From: Johannes Mario Ringheim <jri@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 07 2007 - 13:37:51 EEST

Leslie P. Polzer wrote:
> I would like to do the following:
>
> * listen to music all over the room (so this probably disqualifies a 5.1 setup?)
>
> * do semi-professional audio (voice recordings, singing, guitar, synth with MIDI
> keyboard)
>
> * watch a movie every now and then. That's not really important, though.
>
> Is that enough for you to hand me some advice on what to get?

You're not specifying the price range. However, I'm very happy with my
KRK Rokit 6 active speakers, and I've heard that many others are happy
with them too. They're about £450 in Norway.

If you double that amount, you could go for the more expensive line of
KRKs, you could take a look at the KRK V6. Other than that I've heard
good things about DynAudio active speakers. If you really wanna blow
your wallet you could consider the PMC Transmissionline speakers. They
also come with or without built-in (pluggable) power amps, so you can
deceide if they should be active or not.

To me I prefer active speakers because:

  - They're more "heavy duty" than typical HiFi, and designed to
withstand more harm than HiFi. At least it's supposed to be like that.
  - You get two seperate power amps. Don't tell me that one integrated
stereo power amp is better. Highend HiFi amps often are built as two
seperate amps, even with seperate trafos. This is a good design wich you
get (much cheaper) with active speakers.
  - They usually have balanced inputs. Phono cables are crap. Period.
  - It's more practical in use with a computer than a HiFi is.
  - You can buy more speakers if you wish to make a 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 or
even 10.2 setup.

Linkz:
http://www.krksys.com/
http://www.pmc-speakers.com/
http://www.dynaudio.com/eng/index2.php

--
Ringheims Auto - Fri musikk for bilstereo!
http://ringheimsauto.org