[LAU] RME HDSP Multiface Windows vs Linux & Jack

From: Svend-Erik Kjær Madsen <sv-e@email-addr-hidden-e.dk>
Date: Tue Jul 22 2008 - 11:19:15 EEST

Hi
I've newly installed a desktop system with dual boot
windows/ubuntuStudio and discovered something exiting.

If I play around with ZynAddSubFX in Windows, I can adjust the card to
64 frames 96000KHz and play with 1,5 ms latency without any kind of
sound glitch or interrupts at all.

If I try the same with UbuntuStudio and jack I get a lot of X-runs as I
play, in a serious situation it's no good, especially as I'm beginning
to use effects in and out of my Multiface in real time for example guitar.

Now that I discovered that my card is fully capable of playing with
extreme low latency I'm not quite satisfied with running 20ms or more in
UbuntuStudio or any other Linux DAW.

Is there anything I can do to tune my jack installation to obtain lower
latency and more stability with my card, so far I haven't had any luck
tweaking the jack settings.

Thanks in advantage.

/Sv-e