Re: [LAU] orchestra mixing, reverb, and spatialization

From: drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 11 2009 - 16:25:09 EET

On Wednesday 11 February 2009 08:12:04 Dave Phillips wrote:
> drew Roberts wrote:
> > This is my dream born of ignorance...
> >
> > Take a multitrack recording in something like ardour.
> > NAME each track.
> > Feed all tracks to a plugin that has a graphical representation of a
> > sound stage.
> > The NAMES (with icons) from the adrour tracks show up from left to right
> > on the stage.
> > You can grab the icons and drag them about the stage in realtime and hear
> > the changes in the output of the plugin.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> I like your dream, Drew. :)
>
> Perhaps an extension of this software might be a starting point :
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/meloncillo/
>
> Be sure to look at the screenshots.
>
> There are numerous VST plugins that provide neat graphic controls for
> multichannel sound placement. Alas, I nothing about their realtime
> utility nor how they perform under WINE. Check out these plugins :
>
> http://acousmodules.free.fr/
>
> HTH,

Thanks Dave, not sure it helps in the big picture, it may, but it reminded me
of one point I left out. (I am not much of a programmer these days and likely
never was although I still have some stuff in daily use that was written back
in the 80s.)

Put and object on the front and centre of the sound stage representing the
listener.
Allow moving the the listener object back and sideways into the "audience" or
anywhere on the soundstage as well.
Alternately, allow the "listener" to be any one of the players/tracks.

> dp

drew