Re: [LAU] A new song..

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 11 2009 - 15:19:01 EEST

James Stone wrote:

> Be good to get some feedback on this one - a throwaway pop/punk song -
> recorded in Ardour with me doing all the parts (guitar and bass both
> through a V-Amp2 - maybe not the best choice for the bass!), drums with
> Hydrogen, and vocals through a Samson C01 and a Behringer Minimic 800
> into the line of a SBLive. This is a very rough mix - the drums sound
> way too weedy, and I think the vocals may be too far forward (and seem a
> bit separated from the rest of the track), but I would welcome any thoughts!

Hi James,

I'm no critic of the style, but I enjoyed the song. Some
comments/suggestions:

The voice placement and presence are fine. New recordists tend to
undermix their vocals when they should be more up-front, but I like
where the voice is in this mix.

The drums are under-recorded. The part is fine, but it should either
have a different sound (i.e. a different kit) or more presence in the
mix. Or both.

Bass could use a wee bit more presence.

I like the lyrics. :)

A little dirtier sound might be appropriate for the style, but I'm not
sure how you'd achieve that effect.

HTH,

dp