[LAU] all-track splice and move in Ardour

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 07 2009 - 19:29:10 EET

This is probably something that should be on the Ardour list, but I'm
not subscribed there, and I seldom enough have questions about Ardour to
subscribe...

What's the most logical (and safest) way to take a section out of a
whole timeline, across all tracks, and move it somewhere else?
Probably describing this in computer terms would be too unwieldly for
such a simple idea -- basically I want the equivalent of a tape splice.
If it's necessary to individually move all the affected regions on all
the affected tracks, I can, but I wondered if there's some simpler way.
Also, I noticed some documentation saying the splice feature was unsafe.
(I'm using Ardour 2.7.1.)

I'm working on one of those songs where all the ideas came together, but
in the wrong order. I've got a section about three-fourths of the way
into it that really should have been the beginning...

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky