Re: [LAU] mixing techniques and synth : book references ?

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 01 2010 - 12:14:16 EEST

On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 10:00:17AM +0200, Jean-Yves Poilleux wrote:

> I've been try to compose for several months/years now and i'm never pleased
> with the mix and with the synth sounds. My use of effects and filters are
> more or less random. I'm self-educated here but not very well ;-).
> More, each time I listen to my tracks on a new system, it sounds different.
>
> So I'm willing to learn some mixing techniques (and some synth techniques as
> well). I'd like to have a better understanding of sound mixing and synth. A
> little studying will do me good.
>
> Do you know any good book references about these subjects, french or english
> ? Of course if they tackle the subject of free audio software as well I
> would just be great.

Bob Katz has already been mentioned.

Porbably the most efficient way to learn this sort of thing
is to work under the supervision of someone who knows what
he's doing, either formally or unformally.

Apart from that, again 'know what you are doing' - that is
don't just turn knobs blindly, but try to understand why
things work or don't work, and learn the relation between
'the knobs' and 'the sound'.

If something sounds OK after you have been tweaking it for
a long time, the chances are that I will disappoint you when
you hear it again next week. The reason is that your hearing
will adapt even to the worst ideas if you give them enough
time. This improves with training and lots of very conscious
listening. But an essential part of being able to set e.g. an
equaliser or an effect is to do it relatively quickly and
without too much 'exploration'.

Ciao,

--
FA