Re: [LAU] OT: external sound for linux card advice

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 05 2010 - 14:45:16 EEST

Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On 09/04/2010 08:19 PM, Bernardo Barros wrote:
>> Really? Jack can mute with xruns on firewire?
>> I have an Edirol PCR-1 but I couldn't get it running on my linux box.
>> damn!
>>

> The Edirol PCR-1 should work, especially with the quirk Clemens Ladisch
> provided you about two months ago.
> And yes, some apps can take JACK down, especially when using low
> latencies. I'm having particular problems myself with Hydrogen and
> Qsynth. If I start up Qsynth I immediately get one or two xruns that
> could mute JACK.

Don't know about Hydrogen (don't use it) but have never had Qsynth mute
JACK2. HAVE had ZynAddSubFx quit responding (especially at latencies
below 16msec) and stop making sound, but JACK2 kept going. I use Yoshimi
instead of Zyn because Yoshimi seems to be much more tolerant of low
latencies.

> But that could be the older version of JACK that I use
> (0.116.x). Like I said, don't know about JACK2.

Using an older version of JACK2 (JACKDMP is proper name) here, 1.9.2.
Couldn't get regular JACK to work with my laptop/USB soundcard combo.

I understand one difference between JACK1 and JACKDMP is better support
for multiple processors/cores. Can't tell you if it makes a difference,
I have only single-core processors here.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden