Re: [LAU] An appeal to famous artists?

From: Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 04 2011 - 16:25:06 EEST

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 4:06 PM, James Morris wrote:

>> Really? Well, *I* always thought that it was just another business model :)
>
> Not sure what you mean by that.

Like I said before, free software has many appealing aspects to me. A
business model that imposes strong business and human ethics is one of
them.

> I see you've removed my statement saying that these are only my
> suspicions? Such a statement I hoped would suggest I was open to
> seeing them dispelled, and/or I don't necessarily believe them to be
> correct.

I tend to strip bits of conversations to which I agree or think of
them as of irrelevant ones. There a few things I dislike more than
RMS, and lengthy uncut threads happen to be one of them.

>> Being passionate as OK as long as you don't behave like a dick.
>> Freedom and small projects have very little to do with that.
>
> That's very judgemental of you.

No, that's very observational of me. Try spending half an hour in same
room with him when he knows you work for a company that has a "Linux"
in the name, but not a "GNU", see him acting like an annoying
fourty-something years old bearded child who didn't get a candy, then
we talk :) I'm not even mentioning his ever-lasting feuds with Linus.

>> And no, I like small projects and support them whenever I can. Hell, I
>> helped growing some of them into large projects.
>
> Oh yeah, which ones?

Darktable would be one of the latest. Mid-size currently, but growing
fast and wide, and was a one-man band just 1.5 years ago. Best thing
on Linux we have instead of Adobe Lightroom today, with unique tools,
OpenCL based rendering and whatnot.

Anyway, back on topic. One thing that worries me about the initial
proposal to contact some of the major musicians is that IMO it kinda
(unintenionally) belittles folks like Louigi who can do impressive
stuff with *just* free tools. The way I see it every community strives
for independance. When CC Foundaiton was looking for a new lawyer,
they started asking around in the community first. See what I mean? We
are not self-contained uet, and the proposal in fact is to solve that
by asking for help to someone who isn't likely to stick to the
community.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org