Re: [LAU] Time to move along

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 12 2012 - 12:31:53 EET

On 02/12/2012 08:01 AM, Hartmut Noack wrote:
> Am 11.02.2012 22:57, schrieb Jeremy Jongepier:
>> Remixing Leigh's (Pneuman) track is simply taking me too long and the
>> baby's due next week so I'm just releasing this remix. It's not finished
>> though but I will probably never finish it, for the moment I have enough
>> of all the quirks of the software I'm using.
>
> Thanks a lot for the highly interesting report, Jeremy!

Thank you Hartmut!

> The ogv-file is oddly distorted after 40-50 sec when played with
> Dragon-player, in VLC there is no such distortion.

That's weird, I just did an export from Audacity and played it back on
several players (aqualung, browsers, my good ol' KiSS DP1500, my phone).
Haven't heard any distortion myself.

> The vocals do sound astounding given the extreme manipulations you
> describe. But indeed they are a bit dim. Could be considered a
> style-statement if you would not have reported yourself, that this is
> not intended.
> Anyway, it is indeed an entirely new song and find it fascinating.

Thanks again :)

> > seq24 is dead and staying with JACK 0.118.x just because of seq24 is
> just plain silly.
>
> I got jackdmp 1.9.7 here and can use Seq24 without any trouble. I do not
> build it from source but use the package for KXStudio/Ubuntu Studio.

That's right, seq24 has no issues with Jack2. But I don't use Jack2, I
never got it to run as stable as Jack1 for some reasons. And I always
have to use the -S switch with Jack2 and still don't fathom its
multi-processor support (I think I just don't have a workflow that
benefits from this support) so I asked myself, why not just stick with
Jack1. FWIW, seq24 doesn't work with any version of Jack1 higher than
0.118.x. Torben Hohn looked into it and even provided a patch but since
seq24 development seems to be completely stalled this patch got lost.

>> Despite our little family growing I do hope to release more stuff in
>> 2012.
>
> I look forward to it especially for the background-stories ;-)
>
> And I wish you all the best for your family-growing. I got younger kids
> here too and it is indeed a great inspiration and besides, it tends to
> rewind the wheel of time every once in a while ;-)
> So congratulations though I have to affirm, that kids are the most
> time-consuming good thing you can have.

He he, that's just so true!

> best regards
> HZN