Re: [LAU] looking for command-line/scriptable mastering software

From: Grekim <grekimj@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 23 2012 - 05:26:10 EET

/Maybe neat on headphones, but definitely the wrong thing for
reproduction on speakers. Also bad for mono compatibility.
And since it's closed source it's not possible to change
this to normal panning, which would be a trivial exercise
otherwise./

I'd like to learn more about why it's so wrong. Again, with stereo
tracks it's volume based. For example, if you set my pan to 50%, you
get a drop of 6 dB on the left side, and -50% is a 6 dB drop on the
right side.
Fairly trivial to add, yes. This is why I'd like people to ask me what
is possible and not just knock it. /

/

/I've got ~3TB of floating point files here, and I'm not going
to convert them just to be able to use a particular - any - SW./

Why did you record in floating point format if your A/D converters are not?

/
The summing being exact is quite irrelevant if the rest isn't,
and doesn't need to be anyway./

Sorry it's not relevant to you. Aside for the latest version which does
use ALSA, I have about 4 C header files. So there's no libsend file or
anything like that. The code has been very focused on what I need and
done from scratch. There has only been one person to suggest a feature
and I added that in a couple hours after the suggestion was made. I do
continually consider what other users might think about workflow etc.,
but again so far I have had very little feedback.

/OK, then the info on your site is out of date.../

Don't think so. You've been able to add control files a arguments when
you launch the program since near the beginning. And recently you can
add directories to your preferences file.

It's too bad the closed source issue has rubbed you guys the wrong way.
The way I see it, I've invested well over 1000 hours and a year of work
on something which I ask nothing for in return except maybe a little
respect now and then :)