Re: [LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

From: hermann meyer <brummer-@web.de>
Date: Wed Feb 06 2013 - 20:27:41 EET

Am 06.02.2013 18:52, schrieb Brendan Jones:
> On 02/06/2013 05:19 PM, hermann meyer wrote:
>> Am 06.02.2013 16:49, schrieb Al Thompson:
>>> I had to laugh at this. Every once in a while, I will search to see if
>>> there are any new LADSPA or LV2 plugins. I often see plugins described
>>> by their mathematical function, with NO hint of what it actually does.
>>> If linux audio would like to get its foot in the door with guitarists,
>>> defining available plugins only by math function is not the way to go
>>> about it. It almost seems like some plugins exists only because they
>>> were someone's class assignment (write a plugin using FFT).
>> Usually I wouldn't answer on this topic, even if I have some concerns,
>> but I will repeat on this.
>> Because my last announcements here on this list was exactly about LV2
>> plug-ins for guitarist which indeed use at least FFT.
>>> This release introduce the first LV2 plugs created from the guitarix
>
> Whilst being a standalone project (i.e not a DAW/authoring tool) this
> is one linux audio project which seems really committed to
> interoperability. Its a huge effort to develop this way.
>
> A question someone asked a thread or two back, do you suffer from not
> enough feedback from users?

I didn't suffer, but to be honest, I receive a single user response for
the new LV2 amp plugs, to let me know about a bug related to a single
ardour3 function.
I believe I have fixed the bug, but I don't know, because I didn't use
ardour3. So I ask the reporter if it is fixed for him with the fix (last
release). I didn't get a answer anymore, I guess, yes, it is fixed. But
the bug in mantis tracker is still marked as open.

I must say that I have hopped for some time to get a bit user feedback,
I was open all the years for input from the "Community", but I've given
up on this.
I'm happy if from time to time other open source friends come along and
use our classes for there own projects, and talk a bit about. From time
to time developers join us and work a bit with us.
But from my experience, users still only grep what they can get and go
along. That the way it is, and I wouldn't change that anymore. So I do
it the way I like and share the results if I feel good.

That isn't only the case for linux, or special for audio, that happens
on windows and MAC as well.
If you give away your work for free, . . .
It wouldn't even help if you put big pop-ups on screen, or recently
reminders like it is done in shareware, so for developers like me, with
such a small side project, the only way is take it or leave.
 From 28.000 source downloads I get at all 35 responses, hey that are
more then one out of thousand. ;-)
Still, I have no Idea how may users use the binary’s from the different
distributions, but hey, I wouldn't know it.