Re: [LAU] and now, what do you think RULES about Linux audio ?

From: Alf Haakon Lund <alf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 07 2013 - 21:29:12 EET

Didn't have much to say about what sucks with Linux audio, because in
general I think it just RULES! I'm very thankful to all those who made
professional audio production possible and available on standard
hardware (that's not to say my audio production is anywhere near
"professional" though :-) ).

To be a bit more precise: Licensing rules, as I can either teach myself
to improve any program - or pay someone to do it for me. Not really been
doing neither of those so far, but I appreciate the possibility.

Hardware compatibility rules. So far almost any and all hardware I threw
at my system Just Works. Keyboard with midi through USB, audio through
USB interface, media player, multifunction printer - it all usually
works out of the box.

Multitude of choices rule. I can play back or export to a wide range of
media formats. I can choose between any number of DEs. Don't like Unity?
There's KDE, Gnome and XFCE just to name a few. Don't like Ubuntu?
There's Suse, Arch and Fedora, again to name just a few.

Repositories rule. Thousands of apps and programs just a few clicks
away. One has to be very picky not to find something suitable. And if
you don't, well look again at the licensing point. OK, maybe there
aren't thousands of audio production programs, but I haven't even tried
everything that comes with Ubuntu Studio yet...

Communities rule. Most forums are friendly, fast and helpful. When
documentation is scarce there's other users to help you out.

Alf