[LAU] Video micing question

From: Paul DeShaw <pauldeshaw@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 20 2013 - 17:51:44 EEST

Sorry this is a bit OT, I don't know whom else to ask.
I belong to a martial arts community which produces videos of guest
teachers when we host a seminar. We used to use a lavalier mic on the
teacher's chest. For reasons I don't understand, that practice was
stopped, and the mic was moved to the high ceiling rafter, where it picks
up the whole room. The result is that some of the most revered figures in
our art have had their words lost in the background noise. If I can't
convince those in charge to use the lavalier mic as it's designed to be
used, would a camera-mounted shotgun mic do better? Any suggestions as to
model? Any other suggestions for micing a moving subject 30 feet or so from
a wall-mounted camera?
I will try to get more particulars about the setup. I have noticed 2 XLR
connectors on the camera which are not used. The mic and the camera are fed
separately into the computer, I don't know what happens from there.
Probably uses Final Cut Pro.
Thanks,
Paul