Re: [LAU] Bitwig: what we can learn from it

From: Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 01 2014 - 23:42:16 EEST

Am 31.03.2014 13:26, schrieb Fons Adriaensen:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 11:33:02AM +0100, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 12:23:15PM +0200, Robin Gareus wrote:
>>
>>> only for some kind of music.
>>>
>>> Bitwig is just a toy compared to for example Csound and Supercollider.
>>>

>> But Csound and Supercollider are not suitable for
>> making music. They're fine if you're some kind of
>> autistic savant computer genius, but utterly fucking
>> useless if you're a musician.
>
> Define musician.
>
> The people who are able to use Csound and Supercollider
> can do it because they have invested time and effort in
> learning to do it. As has anyone who can play whatever
> instrument in a passable way (doesn't matter if it is
> a violin or a bass guitar). As has a composer who can
> arrange a song and write a score for it without needing
> a battery of synths to know how it will sound, or to
> check if his harmony is right.
>
> And no matter how you turn it, learning to do something
> difficult has beneficial side effects, apart from the
> primary result.

Completely correct.

> Your 'musician' seems to be one for whom everything
> has to be prepared before and easy, so the only thing
> that remains to be done is some clicking on a screen.

Bitwig allows people, who like to do it that way, to get "good" sounding
4/4-pop very easy, that is true.

But to make outstanding music whith it is easy also. Given, the kids
know, how to write/play it, they do not need to think much about the
interface. The real interesting thing for musicians with an attitude
that may recommend Csound or the likes also is hidden in the
uncomparable automation-features of Bitwig.
These are indeed remarkable, you can automize single notes in
MIDI-chords and use most advanced OSC-gear with it....

On the surface it may be toyish and I am sure, it will make bazillions
of wannabes produce boring replications of oldish clisches but in the
hands of someone, who knows, what he/she is out for it is a powerfull
tool also.