Re: [LAU] Is there a newer, better "Jack Rack"?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sun Nov 08 2015 - 05:01:23 EET

On Sun, 8 Nov 2015 03:13:28 +0100, Hermann Meyer wrote:
>Am 07.11.2015 um 21:25 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
>> It's just strange that there still is an issue with Linuxsampler's
>> GPL.
>
>The GPL explicitly forbids any additional restrictions.
>
>http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.audio.linuxsampler.devel/1182

My understanding is that GPL remains GPL, if the licence isn't renamed,
then the exception is null and void:

On Sat, 7 Nov 2015 19:09:39 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>[snip]
>
>Actually Linuxsampler is GPLed,
>https://www.linuxsampler.org/downloads.html#exception,
>https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#ModifyGPL, so IIUC it
>doesn't cause an issue, since as long as the name still remains GPL,
>the license still remains GPL.

However, Carla for sure is interesting good software, but as a
replacement for a simple jack effect rack it's tricky bloatware, since
an effect rack doesn't need build in music instruments and doesn't need
a jack patchbay, let alone a flashy GUI.

Assumed some distros should drop jack rack, then Carla perhaps can't be
a successor for this special purpose. Carla for sure it's good
software, if such a bundle is needed, but then users can't rely on
getting the same features, when installing Carla from different
distro's official repositories.

Perhaps offering Carla light (and Carla light VST), a LADSPA, LV2 and
DSSI (and VST) host, without build in music instruments, without a
patchbay and without a flashy GUI could be offered. Carla light could
become part of the official repositories of even hardcore GNU/Linux
policy distros and it perhaps would be as simple and self-explaining as
jack rack and feature compatible what ever distro is used.

Just an opinion, not a feature request.

Regards,
Ralf