Re: [LAU] yoshimi, zyn and Ardour

From: <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 18 2016 - 18:51:18 EEST

On Sat, 17 Sep 2016 20:01:57 -1000
david <gnome@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I like the multiple windows. It's a very Linux way of doing things. I
> hate trying to crowd everything into one window where I can't see two
> different windows of the UI at the same time.

For me, even though I use Linux for both personal interests and to
provide bread money (have no Windows nor Mac), and for so many years, a
"Linux way of doing things" does not cut it.

I do not see any other application that uses multiple GUI windows that
can benefit from being opened at the same time. Libreoffice might have
some navigation popup but then, they can be incorporated into the main
screen where they are easier to access.

So, being a "Linux way of doing things" is not substantiated IMHO.

OTOH, comparing with a complex synth such as Zebra2, or Dark Zebra, can
be useful. Comparing with Bazille, also a complex synth, is not right
because Bazille uses wires that are drawn on the screen to connect
components and provide ports to run wires between screens that are not
seen.

Zebra2 synths do not have multiple windows yet, they are complex
beasts. And yet, their user interface is inviting to tweak things.
Many things can be accessed at the same time w/o needing to clutter the
desk space with multiple windows. Each wave of the 4 oscillators can
be tweaked in their own GUI section. Then, when graphically adjusting
the multiple segment envelope generator, is there a need to see the
wave form for oscillator 3 ? At the exact same time ? I don't think
so. The OSC3 wave display is a click away and the user can switch
easily between that and the MSEG graphic display, in a snap.

Artists are not necessarily lab users, after all. Although above that
the real exercise would be to demonstrate clearly that multiple windows
for a single application, a synth, actually leads to creating better
sounds.