Re: [LAU] The future of audio plugins ?

From: jonetsu <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 19 2016 - 02:25:46 EEST

On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 01:02:11 +0200
Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> User: Guys, give me the dire straits!
> EQ: Hey Overdrive, I'll add the brightness if you add distortion.
> Overdrive: I'm in, dude.
> Reverb: I'll be your reverb and we'll sound like brothers in arms
> EQ: Deal.
> Overdrive: EQ, please engage that low-shelf of yours I'm a bit bassy
> today. Picard: Make it so.

Again, it is not about creating personalized tones so much. It is at
the mixing stage, where hopefully, when the mixing engineer is on the
payroll at $300 an hour (highly hypothetic), the decisions about the
tones of the tune have been taken. By humans.

At the mixing stage, to assist the mixing engineer.

> You not only need a protocol, but a complete language for detailed
> behavioral description of all building blocks. e.g. "How does a given
> effect affect the signal phase depending on <parameter-set>".

Of course. Naturally.

> I don't see plugin auto-config happen with a random set of plugins
> anytime soon, and certainly not in a decentralized way with decision
> logic built into the respective plugins. Then again, that would be a
> cool project, maybe ask the DeepMind team.

Cool, this DeepMind thing.

> Realistically it'll be a fixed set of plugin, the analysis tool has
> pre-shared knowledge about the available DSP + parameter behavior and
> it is trained (neural network, heuristics, presets,..) specifically
> for those plugins.

Yes, this is very likely how it will start to be known. At least it
will not be part of a specific DAW, but as a plugin, will be OK for
all DAWs out there.