Re: [LAU] Look ma, I'm in the paper :)

From: jonetsu <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 01 2016 - 16:49:26 EET

On Tue, 1 Nov 2016 10:24:47 -0400
Robert Edge <thumbknucklerocks@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Can you still perform your 12 channel live electronic music
> composition (with custom synthesis and signal processing routines)
> when it needs to be ported to whatever the current hardware and OS
> platform is 20 years from now?

I would say yes. And if the company os going bankrupt, well, it will
be like trying to use rezound open source software today. Though
luck. It does not matter if it was excellent. One can grab the sources
and adapt them to the current libraries, fix things, etc. Own the
project ! But then again, it is also about making music.

> If you use software that is actually written with standards
> compliance, portability, and a commitment to open source principals
> the answer is yes. I'm talking about stuff like GCC, Pure Data,
> Csound, snd, and the LADSPA plugin standard.

I do not use Csound, Pure Data nor snd. Might as well use emacs to
create music. I'm not into research. I'm into cave man, neanderthal.
I hit a pad it makes sound, OK.

> If you use proprietary software the answer is most likely no.

I differ. The lifetime of a company is as good as the lifetime of an
Open Source project. When Paul Davis will die, people will take over.
But how long will it fare as well ? It might, or might not. In that
case, there's Harrison in the background, though, so not so much of a
fair comparison, but the same can be applied to any other software.

If Bitwig dies, well, I will continue to use the one I have because it
works pretty good.

> Especially if the company that wrote the software no longer exists,
> and even if it did the OS it was compiled for hasn't been supported
> for a decade, and even if it was you don't remember where you left
> the dongle.

What dongle ? I have spent $000 on proprietary musical software that
runs on Linux and still have no dongle. Am I missing something ?

--
NP: "Drum & Bass, "Harry" - Zanotti Alberghini Trotta live
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdBqsBK_LCo