Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sending samples via MIDI

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sending samples via MIDI
From: Frank Neumann (franky_AT_viona.de)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 14:23:46 EEST

Hi,
alex (what's your last name? :-) wrote:

> I'm trying to send samples to an AKAI S2000 sampler using Perl. I am
> sending and receiving MIDI data fine using ALSA (using OSS emulation).
> I've had success sending system exclusive data to my synthesiser too.

Ah..good to see someone else working in this area. :-)

> I have a spec but it's all rather low-level.. I'm not familiar with
> samplers at all, so I'm having troubles understanding what data I need to
> send and receive, when and where.
>
> Just wondering if anyone happened to have some experience to offer me.
> Feel free to mail me off-list if your reply is not linux specific
> (likely).

I do also have an S2000 which I bought last year in December; I quickly
found that the "MESA" software for Windows that came with it is rather
unstable (on my system, at least), and thus decided to make up some kind
of data transfer tool myself. I admit I haven't made much progress yet,
but at least I can already get samples from the S2000 over serial-MIDI,
and I have started looking into MIDI-over-SCSI communication (I can already
send NoteOn/Off's via SCSI :-).

I created my own little project for this at SourceForge in January (it's
called "lakai"), but there's nothing there yet - no source, no pages.
What I did so far is at home on my PC, and I wouldn't want to offer any
sources before it has got at least some kind of functionality.
What I do have, though, are lots of ideas on my mind what this thing could
evolve into. :-)

At SourceForge it's easy to create your own mailing lists for each project;
maybe it's a good idea to set that up over there. I don't know if the
traffic here at linux-audio-dev is already at a critical level so that some
people would rather have such discussions as ours be taken somewhere else.

Regards,
Frank

PS: I guess you already have the AKAI S2000/1000 etc. MIDI SysEx specs, but
if not, I have started a private links page which contains links to that
info (+ a bit more); it is at http://lakai.sourceforge.net/links.html

--
   Frank Neumann (franky_AT_viona.de), Software Engineer @ VIONA Development GmbH
       Karlstraße 27, 76133 Karlsruhe, Germany  - phone: +49 721 9134424