Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sending samples via MIDI

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sending samples via MIDI
From: Kevin Hremeviuc (khremeviuc_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 04:33:43 EEST

--- alex <alex_AT_state51.co.uk> wrote: > On Sat, 16 Sep
2000, [iso-8859-1] Kevin Hremeviuc
> wrote:
> > I had a look at doing something similar using a
> java gui for sending
> > sysex messages and samples to my Akai S3200
> (currently 1/3rd
> > finished).
>
> Interesting..
>
> > Are you trying to use midi sample dumps or the
> akai midi sample
> > format? If the latter, then I guess you have some
> doco.
>
> They seem similar, but the more standard MIDI stuff
> looks like a better
> place to start.

I have some Midi SDS (sample dump standard)
documentation ( a book midi ). There should be some
midi SDS doco on one of the file format sights. Here's
one that looks ok:

http://www.wotsit.org/download.asp?f=mid-frm4

> > The doco I have is for several Akai samplers but
> not the S2000
> > specifically. Unfortunately it's all going to be
> on the low level side
> > (byte ordering especially).
>
> Yes that's a major stumbling block for me..
>
> > If you're trying to do it by scsi and talking
> straight to the samplers
> > midi controller, I'd love to know how you're doing
> it.
>
> At the moment I don't have a SCSI controller in my
> machine, so it'll be
> vanilla MIDI. SCSI is obviously an attractive
> option..
>

> Alex

Kev