Re: [linux-audio-dev] LinuxTag Infomail #2

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LinuxTag Infomail #2
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 00:14:35 EEST

Frank Neumann wrote:

> Right now, my list of positive
> "ACK" mails looks like this:
>
> - Frank Neumann
> - Jörn Nettingsmeier
> - Jürgen Erhard
> - Josh Green
> - Alexander Ehlert
> - Daniel Kobras
> - Richard Günther
> - Benno Senoner (only for 3 days, though)
> - (Tobias Ulbricht - not sure yet)
> - (Robert Schrem - will provide hardware and be around at the booth
> occasionally)

looking forward to meet you all personally !

> The following persons gave me NACKs - they cannot come:
> - Steve Harris
> - Francois Dechelle (but he's currently helping in putting together some
> jMax
> demos - let's just hope I manage to get the JDK/JRE stuff installed on
> my
> machine in time :-)

i have just installed a JDK here for my studies, it's pretty
trivial.
so the box i bring will have it already.

> I still have not gotten any information from these:
> - Matthias Weiss
> - Nicola Bernadini

it seems nicola cannot come for personal but very compelling and
actually rather joyful reasons that have to do with, ahem, fork()ing
in the biological sense ;)
he wrote to me some time back in february when i was trying to talk
people into providing demo pieces.

> Hardware
> --------
>
> Unfortunately, it seems like the offer from a local Music instruments
> shop
> ("Rockshop") to lend some hardware for the LinuxTag is no more valid -
> they
> want to charge me for it :\. I'll still have to ask again on Monday,
> though,
> because the reply I got yesterday was from someone who probably doesn't
> know all the details I had negotiated with them earlier. This is not
> very
> critical, though - I believe we can bring together enough hardware
> ourselves.

i could bring a studio large diaphragm condenser if anyone wants to
demonstrate sampling.
will need a phantom-powered console. won't bring mine, it's 32:8:2
and installed :(
if needed, i'll bring audio cabling, adaptors and soldering tools
(my p.a. first aid kit).

i can get two 15/3 with amping, but i'd have to haul them all
through the country, so we might be better of renting stuff.

> Also, I guess it's about time I learnt to compile/use Ardour - Paul, can
> you
> give me (and probably all of us) a few hints on what is currently the
> best/
> most stable version, and what prerequisites it got? From some other
> people's
> mails, it sounded to me as if this is really no trivial task.

does anyone have a hammerfall card ?
it's probably the best choice for ardour, because that's what paul
uses and debugs. i'm trying on an SBLIVE, and the whole stuff is
horribly unstable, but i have trouble debugging it or even getting a
decent trace.

i have received a lot of help from paul already, so i might be able
to guide you around the most common pitfalls, and for the hard part
there is ardour-dev. mail me in private when you start compiling.

> Oh, and by the way - I hope I can somehow make use of Ardour even when I
> do not have a Hammerfall? I'm missing some bits on information here..

yes, but. large but.
to get the concept across, it's fine, but it lacks a lot of sex
appeal on a 2-channel card. :)

regards,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany