RE: [linux-audio-dev] Laptops for audio - useful comparison table

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] Laptops for audio - useful comparison table
From: Ivica Bukvic (ico_AT_fuse.net)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 22:28:28 EEST

Here's an e-mail I got from RME support guy, as much as Inspiron 8000 is
concerned (which is what I have and must say am very happy with it). If you
read on their website, they claim that the cooling fan interrupt is what
causes monstrous latency at the moment it gets engaged/disengaged (due to
crappy ACPI implementation, not sure whether it is hw or sw). That's why
their matrix claims ridiculous latencies. Apropos that issue, I e-mailed RME
since recently Dell had released latest BIOS update (A17) that made things a
bit better, yet not that much better. Still, after finding out about this
app which controls fans in software, my problems went away. I can not,
however, vouch for the advertised 1.5ms latency stated below since I am
running Linux and winME (which came with it and I didn't bother reinstalling
since XP is just around the corner) and do not have Hammerfall DSP on my