Re: [linux-audio-dev] multitrack and editor separate?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] multitrack and editor separate?
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Sat Oct 27 2001 - 19:33:21 EEST

>What would happen if one would edit a clip in multitrack editor?
>Would all instants of the clip change? Or just that one instant
>as in an audiowave editor?

precisely. the semantics are completely undefined. "clips" (or
"regions" or "events") do not correspond 1:1 with audio files. for a
standalone editor to work with them they would need to be written to
such a file first. the whole idea is a complete mess, which is why i
didn't go ahead and add it to ardour.

>It all could be more clear if the different intuitive working
>styles of the editors are not mixed. But it would be a good idea to
>be able to get instant update of the edits of the audiowave
>editor to the multitrack editor in the EDL form. A "clone" operation
>in audiowave would instantly make a new clip to multitrack editor.

but whats the starting point for the edit?

>Things like that which makes living much easier could be added.
>Yet we need a standard communication method between editors
>to make all that possible.

i think its called a file :)

seriously, i don't think you can do this. editors that don't know
about playlists (as all *wave* editors do not) can't interact with
editors that do without first rendering part of a playlist to disk.
or so it seems to me.

--p