Re: [LAD] LV2 "isn't well thought out ?" LV2 in the Reaper sequencer

From: Darren Landrum <darren.landrum@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 22 2008 - 19:25:57 EET

I thought we were all on the same side?

I hate politics, and this email was not the first one I wanted to send
to this list since rejoining. The fact is, though, that I wanted to
leave the Windows world behind and go all-Linux for my music making, and
I am now regretting that decision. What have I come back to?

* ALSA refuses to document anything, so it may as well be closed-source.
A friend of mine, who coded the original Windows drivers for a certain
multi-channel interface, wanted to write ALSA drivers for it, and got
stopped by no documentation and uncooperative developers.
* Ardour looks, behaves, and has almost the exact same feature set as it
did two years ago. (Nobody in the commercial world is still using a
32-bit mixing engine, not even Pro-Tools.)

You can go ahead and tell me to leave if I don't like it, but the truth
is, I like the spirit of the Free Software world, and if I feel I can
contribute something worthwhile, then I will. It's just too bad that we
can't seem to work together on some issues.

I came to here from Reaper, hoping to have seen the whole idea of audio
production on Linux advance. And it has, to a point, but now you're at a
crossroads: Do you want an elite club, or do you want to see the world
of Linux audio spread far and wide?

If Justin doesn't want to implement LV2 in Reaper, that's his choice. Is
it the right one? Time will tell. The point is, though, is that he's
always been willing to open a dialog to anyone, from humble user to
other developers. Try getting THAT out of Steinberg or Cakewalk. So the
choice becomes, do you want LV2 to stay elite, or do you want an
industry standard? If he has the wrong idea about LV2, open a dialog.
Don't assume just because he's closed source that he behaves just like
Steinberg or Digidesign.

Open source doesn't do anybody any good if nobody wants to use it.

As for me, my interest is in DSP and coding plug-ins. I got started
playing around in Reaper's Jesusonic. Now I want to grow my skills in a
useful direction. Is that going to be LV2, or VST3? I wish I knew.

And please, correct me if anything I say in here is wrong. I'm actually
quite more than happy to be corrected and take appropriate action.

Thank you and good day.

Regards,
Darren Landrum