Re: [LAD] LADI

From: Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 20 2009 - 11:33:37 EET

Modular environment is great, but integrated environment seems to be more
effective. I mean, imho it is not
a matter of preference and I am not saying no work should be done on session
management. I am just saying that so
far my observations show me that integrated environment has too many
benefits over modular environment.

I am relatively new to linux audio, so I would be grateful if you would
explain to me the benefits of modular environment.

So far I've not been able to see any special benefits of such an
environment. I mean, it's curious, but it also means lots of open
windows, it means the project being dependent on many-many apps. Somehow to
me it means working on the problem
from the outside. All the inter-application management seems to be a
difficult problematic and even in the long run is doomed
to have many problems due to many apps involved. A dev releases new version
of his app that has a bug and session
handler cannot connect it - and boom!

But I also have a suggestion.
Is it possible to create an integrated environment based on modules? That
is, an app which would have "plugins", but not plugins in a
sense like effects and synths only, but plugins as elements of the sequencer
itself, like piano roll, song editor, such stuff. A person opens this app
and starts adding elements he needs to it. For a particular project he might
not need a piano roll, he might need only audio track arranger,
for another projects he takes an audio track arranger and also adds a piano
roll.
Modules of such an app could be very different, like a loop player like
Kluppe, etc - all the apps linux audio has to this day but remade as modules
to an integrated sequencer.

What do you think?

Louigi Verona.

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 4:18 AM, Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden