Re: [linux-audio-user] Pro Audio Software RANT!!!

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Pro Audio Software RANT!!!
From: Taybin Rutkin (trutkin_AT_physics.clarku.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 23:34:51 EET

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> A Linux version of ProTools won't happen this way. There needs to be an
> organisation behind it to make the project go forward for long periods of
> time. Think of KDE (Trolltech), GNOME (FSF, Ximian), glibc (FSF) and gcc
> (FSF, Redhat/cygnus, code sourcery). I don't count the linux kernel to
> this category, as it's something one guy could do just for fun of it.. ;)

I really enjoyed your response expcept for this paragraph. I wasn't sure
what you meant. Is there an organisation for vi or emacs, the two
successful programs you mentioned?

> Btw; I'm not too familiar with GIMP's history. Any guesses (or even
> knowledge) about the motives behind it; what make the project tick?

A couple of college kids wanted to make web graphics in Linux. It
originally used Motif. I think they might have gotten school credit also.
I think what made it successful was its lisp underbelly, which I think
made it "the emacs of graphics."

Taybin