Re: [linux-audio-user] Basic Linux Sound card

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Basic Linux Sound card
From: Kevin Ernste (kevine88_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2002 - 11:22:18 EET

> I think SB Live was the first Creative Labs sound card to resample every
> audio stream.

Is this a positive thing? I own an SBLive myself but I don't touch the
digital out. Why in the world they went out of their way to make the
output resample everything...and to 48K no less, is beyond me ;>

> > if the data stream is already at the sample rate you desire. If you
> > expect a bit-for-bit accurate data transfer, this can degrade the
> > original in an unacceptable way.
>
> Since it resamples the digital signal with a very accurate 8 point
> interpolation resampling algorithm, the audio quality loss should be
> minimal.

It is not a question of loss is most cases, but of addition. I always
ended up with digital artifacts (from interpolation errors in most cases).
 Not always, but often. For all intents and purposes, this means the
digital out is useless.

However, if you just want a card for monitoring (analog out), MIDI, and
games, the SBLive is a great(and cheap!) little card...and they are EASY
to set up But for digital transport, definately try somewhere else. I am
told the Delta cards work quite nicely with ALSA. My own preference is
the RME cards, specifically the Hammerfall (if you have a little $ to
spare).

Just my 2 cents.

Kevin

=====