Re: [linux-audio-user] laptop advice needed

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] laptop advice needed
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Tue May 21 2002 - 10:02:57 EEST

Geoff Kuenning hat gesagt: // Geoff Kuenning wrote:

> On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 05:20:40 +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> > Weren't notebooks invented to fit nicly into small japanese flats in
> > the first place and then the western world misunderstood this invention
> > as being a portable computer instead of one that is easily stowed away
> > into a corner?
>
> Well, this is seriously off-topic for this list (CYHIST being the
> right place), but I can't resist clearing up a couple of
> misconceptions.
>
> No. The concept of a notebook goes back to Alan Kay's research at
> PARC on the Dynabook, in the early 70's. The Dynabook was to have
> been (basically) an oversized Apple Newton.

Somehow I suspected, that the japanese story would be an Urban Legend,
but it shows a lot of truth: Even today most laptops aren't worth
a dime when too far away from a power outlet...

> As Steve points out, the first luggable (or one of the first) was the
> Compaq. IIRC, that's how the company got named.

My girlfriend now bought a used Compaq Armada 7800 with 300 MHz
that's running Debian now for LyX. It's nice to hear, that portables
by Compaq are classics.

ciao,