Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: CD audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: CD audio
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 22:26:07 EEST

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 11:14:24AM -0700, Joseph Zitt wrote:
> This might be worth doing. One worry: I have only about 50 MB left on my
> / partition. Would I have enough space to build the kernel?

I doubt it.
How big is the partition?

> (I suspect
> that I have a bunch of irrelevant crap lying around on the drive. Do you
> know of either a tool or documentation that would help me hunt it down
> and scour it out?)

You're using RedHat, right?
I think if you start X as root you'll be able to run their graphical
package manager, which is a bit easier for a novice to navigate than just doing
rpm commands. Look through there and uninstall any package that
seems like something you don't need. (If you need it again later
you can always put it back...). Default installations usually
have tons of stuff and you only use a small percentage of it.

But even a very big installation should be well under 2 GB...
how big is your partition? Do you have more than 1 partition?
What's the biggest top-level directory? e.g.
du -s /home /usr

(that should take a while to run)

--

Paul Winkler home: http://www.slinkp.com "Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"