Re: [linux-audio-user] Zaurus users?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Zaurus users?
From: Rob (lau_AT_kudla.org)
Date: Fri Nov 07 2003 - 07:11:36 EET

On Thursday 06 November 2003 19:22, iriXx wrote:
> any thoughts on the 5500 vs. the new one?...
> i like the look of the older one better... but writing might
> not be as easy...

Well, I have a 5500 and a client of mine has a 5600. The 5600 has
a processor that's about twice as fast, comes back from sleep
much more nicely, and has a little built in speaker (as opposed
to the 5500 where you have to use the headphone jack to hear
anything beyond keyclick.) The 5500 is also half as much though.
I'm still using the stock ROM (not Opie) so I haven't
experimented much with composition (I'm thinking a tracker type
of thing or maybe timidity would be the best i could hope for)
nor with music recording (I think I'd rather use my notebook
plus UA-30 for signal acquisition than the little headphone jack
on the Z.)

I think if I were going to spend more than 200 bucks on a PDA I'd
go all the way and get the C750/760 (sort of like a linux tablet
PC, only the size of a zaurus.) But the 5600 is already a
potentially faster machine than my last laptop.... so it should
at least handle some rudimentary software mixing and sample
playback.

Rob