Re: [linux-audio-user] CPU clock - beware

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] CPU clock - beware
From: tim hall (tech_AT_glastonburymusic.org.uk)
Date: Sat Jul 24 2004 - 15:21:01 EEST

Last Saturday 24 July 2004 11:27, Stefan Scheffler was like:
> uhm  ... be careful processors have a specific fsb that they are
> designed for. For early Celerons like yours that's 66 mhz.
> And you could run into problems with your RAM if it only supports 66mhz.

Thanks for the warning and the link.

I'm as sure as can be that the processor is supported at 100 FSB - i.e. this
is stated quite clearly in the hardcopy manual. I'm that nervous about
fiddling with hardware that I wouldn't bother with a move like this unless
there were strong indications that this is _the_ right setting.

> I looked through your manual and I think you can't really go any higher
> without doing anything that could be considered overclocking *shrug*.
> You could for example up your fsb to 75 mhz but your memory and
> everything else may not like it. Don't blame me if you blow up your
> computer. :D

Well, I'm running at 100MHz x 6 right now.
I take full responsibility for my actions.
Are there any signs I should watch out for?

> I've found an interesting table that says that they don't even recommend
> running your cpu on that board. :) (probably just means that you won't
> get full speed out of it)

I think it's probably more a question of me explaining badly. I think I've
just set it to the maximum I can get with this mobo & processor. The one
weirdness is that the processor is now being detected as 900MHz, which is not
true. Perhaps the 1800 bogomips reading is, I don't know.

Well, I shall now put it through its paces.
Thanks for the perspective, it's all good learning :-)

tim hall