[linux-audio-user] Re: Music: Ringheims Auto - "Kanskje No"]

From: Johannes Mario Ringheim <jri@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 16 2006 - 18:45:36 EEST

Johannes Mario Ringheim wrote:
> By the way, would you please mail me the sample of the clap-snare? It's so
> nice:)

Here you go, a few bars of the drumtrack with the clap solo:
http://ringheimsauto.friwebteknologi.org/ting/klapp_kanskjeno01.wav

I see there's been a debate on this recently, but have to mention:

The clap+snare I sent you is made of one Rick James clap (the guy who
made "Superfreak"), and a snare from some obscure german 7" with a guy
called Alec something. In fact, most of the track I posted is made of
samples from records. Sometimes just a bassdrum or clap, sometimes long
takes lasting for 30 sec+.

My reasoning is this:

I heard (from a friend) that the guy who made "The grey album", wich was
the acapella from Jay-Z's "Black" album mixed with The Beatles' "White"
album, got sued by The Beatles' company. The Beatles lost, because
Danger Mouse who made "The grey album" didn't earn any money from it.

Now, I don't know if this story is true (....?), and couldn't find it
mentioned on the wikipedia article
(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grey_Album) as I was flying by, but I guess
if I GOT sued, and I hadn't earned any money from it, they wouldn't have
by far as good a case as if it was released as an ordinary album with
many copies sold. I will investigate this further, but right now my eye
is hurt and reading is a bit of a struggle...

My solution (compromise) is using the CC by-nc-sa on works of mine that
contain uncleared samples. If I got sued at least I hadn't used it
commercially to earn money or allowed others to do so. This is a
compromise, and having just heard the story about Danger Mouse through
the grapevine, I've figured that for me personally I'm willing to take
the chance.

If you're willing to do that also go ahead and use the Rick James clap.
....Hell, it's just a clap... (Could be fair use, btw, but I dunno...)

--
Ringheims Auto - Fri musikk for bilstereo!
http://ringheimsauto.friwebteknologi.org